How To Make Junnu Palu (kharvas)
About Junnu Palu (kharvas) Recipe: An Indian milk pudding popular in Maharashtra, Junnu Palu is made with cow or buffalo colostrum, steamed and refrigerated until it is set.
Ingredients of Junnu Palu (kharvas)
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1 cup curd/yogurt (thick)
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder/elaichi powder
How to Make Junnu Palu (kharvas)
- 1.In a large bowl take 1 cup milk and ½ cup milk powder. If you have first-day colostrum milk then just add 1 cup sugar for 4 cup colostrum milk and steam.
- 2.Whisk well till the milk powder combines well without any lumps.
- 3.Now add 1 cup curd and 1 cup condensed milk.
- 4.Whisk smooth making sure everything is combined well.
- 5.Transfer the milk mixture to a round pan.
- 6.Sprinkle ¼ tsp cardamom powder over the mixture.
- 7.Cover with aluminium foil or place a pate to prevent water from entering while steaming kharvas.
- 8.Place the pan into a steamer with enough water. alternatively, place in the cooker without keeping the whistle.
- 9.Steam for 35 minutes. make sure to add water to the steamer if water finishes off in between.
- 10.Remove the aluminium foil and check if the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 11.Refrigerate the kharvas for an hour or till it sets completely.
- 12.Unmould the kharvas carefully, you can see excess water separating.
- 13.Finally, cut to desired pieces and serve instant kharvas / junnu.
Key Ingredients: milk, milk powder, curd/yogurt (thick), condensed milk, cardamom powder/elaichi powder