How to make Mangalore Chicken Ghee Roast
Recipe Servings: 2
Total Cook Time:
Chicken Ghee Roast is a Mangalorean speciality. This preparation is a spicy, slightly tangy, rich chicken roast coated with fiery red gravy, made with good amount of ghee which enhances the flavor.
Ingredients of Mangalore Chicken Ghee Roast
- 300 Gram Chicken leg boneless
- 3 tbsp Curd
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- to taste Salt
- For the ghee roast masala
- 6 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tsp Methi Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
How to Make Mangalore Chicken Ghee Roast
- 1.Wash and clean the chicken thoroughly and drain all the water.
- 2.In a mixing bowl, add curd, turmeric and lemon juice and mix well. Add the washed chicken pieces in the curd mixture and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- 3.Heat a flat skillet and add dry red chilies, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns. Roast them on low flame till the aroma of the spices wafts through the air.
- 4.Allow to cool.
- 5.Once the spices are cool, add them to a mixer jar along with the garlic and tamarind paste along with a tablespoon of water into a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- 6.Heat a kadai with ghee, add curry leaves and allow it to crackle. Lower the flame and add chicken that is marinated with curd into the kadai and cook until the chicken has become firm.
- 7.Add the ghee roast masala into the kadai and mix everything together until it combines. Cook the chicken in the pan until the ghee separates out and reaches the surface.
- 8.Finally add in the jaggery, salt to taste and mix well. Once the jaggery has melted, mix well and check for seasoning. Switch off the heat and serve hot.
Chicken leg boneless , Curd, Turmeric powder , Lemon Juice
, Curry Leaves
, Ghee, Salt
, For the ghee roast masala, Dry Red Chilies, Whole Black Peppercorns, Cloves
, Methi Seeds , Coriander Seeds
, Cumin seeds , Garlic
, Tamarind Paste