How to make Massaman Curry (Thai Muslim Curry)
Recipe Servings: 5
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
Chicken cooked in coconut flavors, tamarind, potatoes and an aromatic massaman curry paste.
Ingredients of Massaman Curry (Thai Muslim Curry)
- 500 Gram Chicken thigh
- 3 Tbsp Masaman curry paste
- 1 Cup Coconut cream
- 2 Cups Coconut milk
- 5 Potatoes (carved), boiled
- 5 Small Onions (carved)
- 2 Tbsp Peanuts, roasted
- 5 Cardamom pods, roasted
- 1 Cinnamon stick (about 1 inch long), roasted
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp Palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp Tamarind concentrate
- 3 Tbsp Lemon or lime juice
- For garnish Bay leaves
- For Massaman curry paste:
- 3 Shallots, sliced
- 5 Garlic, peeled
- 2 Red chillies
- 1 Galangal (or ginger) (peeled), sliced
- 2 stalks Lemongrass (outer leaves and bulb removed, then sliced thinly (save upper stems to throw into the pot )
- 2 Kafir lime leaves
- 1 Tbsp Coriander seeds (ground)
- 1 Tbsp Cumin seeds (ground)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1 tsp Ground cardamon
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp Shrimp paste
- 1/2 can Coconut milk
- To taste Fish sauce
How to Make Massaman Curry (Thai Muslim Curry)
- 1.Preheat the coconut milk over medium heat until boiling, add chicken thigh, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
- 2.Preheat the coconut cream over medium heat until oil surfaces.
- 3.Add the curry paste, and saute until fragrant. Transfer to the chicken pot, add peanuts.
- 4.Season to taste with sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice and lime juice.
- 5.Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer until everything is tender and cooked through.
- 6.Spoon onto a serving dish, garnish with bay leaf to give a sense of a Thai touch. Pickled ginger or cucumber relish can also be served as condiments.
- For Massaman Curry Paste
- 1.Place all paste ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and process well.
- 2.To make a sauce rather than a paste, add more coconut milk (1 to 2 cans).
- 3.To use immediately, place sauce in a casserole/baking dish together with chicken, seafood, vegetables.
- 4.Stir well to combine, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until finished.
- Preparation Tip:
- 1.You can store curry pastes in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or until needed.
- 2.When ready to use, add more coconut milk to make a sauce, then add your other ingredients.
Key Ingredients: Chicken thigh, Masaman curry paste, Coconut cream, Coconut milk, Potatoes (carved), Onions (carved), Peanuts, Cardamom pods, Cinnamon stick (about 1 inch long), Bay leaves, Palm sugar, Fish sauce, Tamarind concentrate, Lemon or lime juice, Bay leaves, Shallots, Garlic, Red chillies, Galangal (or ginger) (peeled), Lemongrass (outer leaves and bulb removed, then sliced thinly (save upper stems to throw into the pot ), Kafir lime leaves, Coriander seeds (ground), Cumin seeds (ground), Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ground cloves, Ground cardamon, Fish sauce, Shrimp paste, Coconut milk, Fish sauce