How to make Mince Pie
A lovely Christmas recipe for your friends and family. Mince pie is a sweet British pie stuffed with a mix of dry fruits, apples and brandy.
Ingredients of Mince Pie
- 350 gms flour
- 225 gms butter
- 100 gms caster sugar
- to taste salt
- For mince meat:
- 100 gms raisins
- 100 gms currants
- 50 gms moist sugar
- 50 gms citron
- 20 gms candied lemon peel
- 20 gms candied orange peel
- 5 gms nutmeg
- 1 apple, chopped
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 2 lemon rind
- 100 ml brandy
How to Make Mince Pie
- 1.Mix all the ingredients for mince meat together and use it as a filling.
- 2.To make the pastry, rub 225g cold, diced butter into 350g plain flour and mix in 100g golden caster sugar with a pinch of salt.
- 3.Combine the pastry into a ball (don't add liquid) and knead it briefly.
- 4.The dough will be fairly firm, you can use the dough immediately, or refrigerate it for later use.
- 5.Preheat the oven to 180 C as well as line patty tins.
- 6.Add small sized balls of pastry into each hole and spoon mincemeat into the pies.
- 7.Now take slightly smaller balls of pastry than before and pat them in between your hands to make round lids, big enough to cover the pies.
- 8.Top the pies with their lids, pressing the edges gently together to seal, (The pies may now be frozen for up to 1 month).
- 9.Brush the top of the pies with milk and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- 10.Leave it to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and remove it on a wire rack.
- 11.To serve, lightly dust it with icing sugar.
Key Ingredients: flour, butter, caster sugar, salt, raisins, currants, moist sugar, citron, candied lemon peel, candied orange peel, nutmeg, apple, lemon juice, lemon rind, brandy