Roast Leg of Lamb Recipe
Lamb marinated in a host of spices, baked perfect and served on the bed of roasted vegetables.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Roast Leg of Lamb
- 2 kg whole leg of lamb/raan
- For the marination:
- 2 Tbsp peeled garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 6 cubes of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- Few springs of rosemary
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the side:
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 2-3 potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger and garlic
- Rosemary springs and thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil and butter
How to Make Roast Leg of LambHideShow Media
For the lamb:
1. Wash and pat dry the leg of lamb. Then sprinkle salt on the leg of the lamb.
2. Make some incision/gashes on meat. Stud these with the garlic cloves and sprigs of rosemary.
3. Chop leeks, celery, carrots and onions for the base.
4. Start the marination process by blending some fresh parsley, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, black pepper, red chilli powder, jeera powder, garam masala, olive oil, apple juice and rosemary springs.
5. Massage the leg of lamb with the mixture. Marinate lamb pieces for 2 hours. Preferably marination process should be done overnight.
6. Put the marinated chicken over the base mix on an oven tray.
7. Wrap the leg in aluminum foil and pour some water over the tray from sides. Roast it at 160-170C for two to two and a half hours.
For roasted vegetables:
8. Chop red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, capsicum, yellow squash and zucchini. Cut the seedy portion off the squash and place the vegetables on an oven tray.
9. Drizzle some salt, black pepper for taste. Put finely chopped ginger, garlic, rosemary springs and olive oil to the vegetables.
10. Shake the tray.
11. Put the tray in the oven and roast the vegetables for 11 minutes at 170 C temperature.
For the fried potatoes:
12. Cut potatoes in circle shape, boil them and add salt.
Note: Do not boil potatoes fully, when they are half cooked take them out.
13. In a pan put some butter, olive oil, drained potatoes and fry them.
14. In another pan add some more butter, olive. Add to this finely chopped onions, thyme leaves, salt and pepper for taste and saute it well for 2 to 3 minutes.
15. When onions get half brown take them out from the pan and place it over fried potatoes. Let them fry for 15 to 16 minutes.
16. Garnish it with some fresh parsley.
17. Place the leg of lamb on a serving plate.
18. Put some roasted vegetables on one side and fried potatoes and onions on another.
19. Garnish it with some parsley, rosemary, thyme and serve.