How To Make Rusk
Bread made from scratch and twice baked till crisp.
Ingredients of Rusk
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp oil
- Lukewarm water (to knead dough)
- 1 tin greased milk (to brush)
How to Make Rusk
- 1.Oven temp: 400 F-204 C
- 2.Dissolve sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over it. Leave in a draught-free place to froth.
- 3.When frothy, add salt, oil and yeast to flour and knead to a soft dough with the lukewarm water and leave to rise in a draught-free place covered with cling film or wet cloth.
- 4.When it rises, punch and knead again and leave to rise again.
- 5.When it rises for the second time, knead a bit and shape to fit into a greased baking tin (not more than half filled) and leave to rise for 1/2 an hour.
- 6.Brush with the milk and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- 7.Take the tin out of the oven and when cool, remove the loaf of bread.
- 8.The bread has to be absolutely room temperature, in fact it is better if it is a day old.
- 9.Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices and bake in an oven 300F-150 C, till light brown and crisp.
Key Ingredients: flour, dry yeast, sugar, oil, Lukewarm water (to knead dough), greased milk (to brush)