How to make Shepherd's Pie
Recipe Servings: 4
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Easy
Lamb cooked in mild spices, baked with mashed potatoes and cheese. A delicious savory pie.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 450 gms minced lamb
- 2-3 carrots (sliced), peeled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 25 gms plain flour or maida
- 300 ml lamb or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 700 gms potatoes (boiled), peeled
- 25 gms butter
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- 50 gms cheddar cheese, grated
How to Make Shepherd's Pie
- 1.Heat the oil in a pan and add the bay leaves followed by the onion and fry for a couple of minutes.
- 2.Then add the green chillies, lamb, and carrots and continue frying for 8-10 minutes until the mince turns brown.
- 3.Add the salt, cumin and flour and stir for a minute. Slowly blend in the stock and tomato puree.
- 4.Cook until the mixture thickens. In the meantime, peel and boil the potatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes until soft.
- 5.Preheat the oven at 200C. Mash the potatoes with the butter and milk.
- 6.When the lamb mixture is thick, tip it into an oven proof dish.
- 7.Spread the mashed potatoes on top and sprinkle over the cheese.
- 8.Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Key Ingredients: vegetable oil, bay leaves, onion, green chillies, minced lamb, carrots (sliced), salt, ground cumin, plain flour or maida, lamb or chicken stock, tomato puree, potatoes (boiled), butter, milk, cheddar cheese