Whole Grain Waffles with Strawberry Rhubarb Topping Recipe
Get ready to experience the wow taste of these wonder waffles loaded with strawberry rhubarb topping and maple syrup.
- Total Cook Time 40 mins
- Cook Time 40 mins
- Recipe Servings3
Ingredients of Whole Grain Waffles with Strawberry Rhubarb Topping
- 1/2 cup fresh rhubarb, cut into ½-inch -(1 cm-) pieces
- orange juice 15 mL
- maple syrup 45 mL
- 1½ cup strawberries, quartered 375 mL
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp toasted wheat germ
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- nonfat milk 250 mL
- canola oil 30 mL
- maple syrup 15 mL
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Confectioners sugar for garnish (optional)
How to Make Whole Grain Waffles with Strawberry Rhubarb ToppingHideShow Media
1. To make topping: In saucepan, combine rhubarb, orange juice and maple syrup. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for five minutes until rhubarb has softened and starts to break down. Add strawberries. Return to boil and then reduce heat slightly and cook, stirring occasionally, until strawberries have softened and liquid is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. To make waffles: Preheat waffle iron to medium-high heat. In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine. In another large bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, canola oil, maple syrup, egg and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry ones, mixing only enough to combine.
3. Spray waffle iron with canola oil cooking spray and ladle batter onto waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Close waffle maker and cook batter until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust with confectioners sugar, if using. Serve with strawberry topping.