Recipe Servings: 4
Baby potatoes in a distinctive five spice mix, steamed with mustard paste, curd and coconut.
- 200 gm small potatoes
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp Bengali five spice mixture (panchphoron) (whole jeera, saunf seeds, fenugreek seeds, black mustrad seeds and kalaunji)
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard paste
- 1 tsp hung curd
- 3/4 tsp desiccated coconut paste
- Pinch of green chilli paste
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- Salt - to taste
- Dash of lime juice
- 2 banana leaves
- Peel the potatoes and par boil them in salted water, drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add the five spice mixture, break the red chillies in half and add them next.
- Stir the spices around till they splutter.
- Pour this over the potatoes and put aside
- In a mixing bowl prepare a marinade with the mustard paste, curd, coconut paste, green chilli paste and turmeric powder, whip it well.
- Gently mix the potatoes into this marinade.
- Add the salt and lime juice, mix again.
- Put the potatoes on a steel plate, cover with the banana leaves and steam them for 6-8 minutes. Serve hot.
Key Ingredients: potatoes
, mustard oil
, cumin seeds
, mustard seeds
, onion seeds
, red chilli
, hung curd
, desiccated coconut
, green chillies
, lemon juice