Green Curry Chicken
Recipe Servings: 3
Aubergines, mushrooms and chicken cooked in freshly made green curry paste and vegetable stock.
- For the Curry Paste:
- 1 Tbsp lemon grass - finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp coriander root - finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp shallots - coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic - coarsely chopped
- 10 small green chilies
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp galangal - coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp kaffir lime peel - chopped
- In a mortar pound all the ingredients together until a soft paste forms.
For the Vegetable Stock:
- 5 cups water
- 1 medium onion - quartered
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 3-4 coriander stems and roots
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- In a large pan, boil all the ingredients together and simmer until reduced by about one fifth.
For the Green Curry:
- 3 Tbsp green curry paste
- 2 cans of coconut milk or 1/2 a fresh coconut - shredded
- 1/2 cup aubergine - diced
- 1/2 cup green aubergine - diced
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 1/2 bowl bok choy (Chinese cabbage)
- 400 gms boneless chicken
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 5-6 tsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 lemon grass sticks cut in 1 inch length
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves - coarsely chopped
- 3-4 small red or green chilies - sliced
- 15 Thai basil leaves
- Heat the oil, add the curry paste, briefly stir then add the coconut milk and stir well.
- Add the aubergines, mushrooms and chicken pieces in turn, stirring constantly.
- Now add the sugar and vegetable stock, stir and add the cornflour to thicken.
- Cook on slow fire for some time and then mix in the lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves.
- Once the chicken is done, stir in the chillies and Thai basil leaves, bring to a boil and serve.
Key Ingredients: lemongrass
, black pepper
, coriander leaves
, green chilies, cumin seeds
, coriander seeds
, kaffir lime
, coconut milk
, desiccated coconut
, bok choy