Jimikand ki Sabzi
Recipe Servings: 4
An easy and tasty yam recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups yam-peeled & cut into 1/4 in cube
- 2-3 green chillies-slit
- 1 Tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds
- 2 tsp roasted coriander seeds
- 2 tsp roasted poppy seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 2 large tomatoes-grated
- 1/2 cup yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Grind together the cumin seeds, poppy seeds and the coriander seeds.
- Boil enough water to cover the yam when it is added.
- Add the cubed pieces into the boiling water; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain and set aside. In a heavy-based pan, heat the clarified butter; add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds splutter, add the tomatoes and stir-fry till the fat separates
- Add the ground spices and mix well before adding the cubed yam.
- Stir-fry for about 5 minutes, add salt, chilli powder and garam masala.
- Add 3-4 cups of water; depending on how much gravy you want. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Beat the yoghurt slightly to make it smooth and add to the gravy.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Key Ingredients: yam
, green chillies
, cumin seeds
, coriander seeds
, poppy seeds
, red chilli
, garam masala
, clarified butter
, coriander leaves