Mussels in Beer, Cream and Garlic Sauce
Mussels cooked in a luscious beer, cream and garlic mix.
- 1 kg mussels cleaned
- 1/2 pint of light beer
- 1 tsp of butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 200 ml whipped cream
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Salt to taste (optional)**
- ** Note: If the mussels are fresh from the sea, no salt is required, else add salt to taste.
- Heat a large thick bottomed pan, put in all the mussels, beer, onions and garlic.
- Gently stir.
- Cover and let the mussels cook on medium heat, in their own juice till they begin to open.
- Then add the cream, cover it and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- Gently stir the lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve hot with fresh bread to mop up the juice.