Every fried snack you eat can trigger an unexpected acne breakout. For every donut you devour, you may run the risk of saggy and wrinkly skin. For every night of heavy drinking, you get a dull and dehydrated morning complexion. In a nation obsessed with beauty and fairness creams can you afford to take such risks?Dark chocolate is extremely rich in antioxidants that help reduce inflammation of the skin, retain moisture, prevent wrinkles and also makes you look younger.
You are what you eat - Simply put, the food you eat has a bearing on your mind, body and health. So keeping a tab on what you eat and avoiding unhealthy food is of utmost importance. Nutritionist Niharika Ahluwalia says, "There's only so much anti-ageing creams, cleansers and toners can do. What's crucial is your body gets the right nourishment. You may have noticed your skin loses colour when you've got a bad stomach. In this case bulking up on greens and fresh fruits adds a glow like no other."
It's true you can't help external factors from influencing your skin but you can make smarter dietary choices to ensure your insides are clean and healthy. We did some research on what you should eat in order to maintain a clean and clear skin and stumbled upon the answers in our kitchen.
How to keep those years off your face
1. Dark Chocolate - It's true you can't fight ageing but you can keep it from reflecting on your face. Past research has listed many benefits of dark chocolate: it's good for the heart, helps control blood pressure and surprisingly also curbs weight gain.
For soft and supple skin
2. Walnuts - These bite-sized, brown shelled walnuts are high on vitamins, minerals and nutrients. So feel free to add them to your salads or throw them into into your bowl of cereal. These tiny heroes are rich in Omega-3 fats that locks moisture in the skin, strengthens it and keeps it plump and glowing. They soak the moisture from the air and soothe dry skin, leaving it soft and supple.
For Cleaner and Hydrated Skin
3. Citrus Fruits - Oranges, green grapes, lemons and other citrus fruits are known to be extremely good for the skin. They're rich in Vitamin C and amino acids that keep the collagen active (by improving circulation) and the skin looking fresh and hydrated. They're especially recommended for those with oily skin and dark patches. Blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, broccoli, sweet potatoes and strawberries are some other Vitamin C rich foods you could also eat.
For Perfectly Radiant and Glowing Skin
4. Almonds - Almonds are rich in Vitamin E which works to neutralize the molecules that cause dull skin. They've also got Omega-3 fatty acids and the combination of that with Vitamin E works to regulate blood sugar, reduce blood pressure, increase energy levels and give you radiant and glowing skin.
For Acne-free Skin
5. Green Tea - Acne has given you many sleepless nights and worrisome mornings so we're hoping this helps you conquer the fight against that unwarranted beast. Green tea is packed with antioxidants that helps lower the levels of the acne-producing hormone in the body leaving you with healthy skin. Nutritionists recommend three to four cups a day for maximum benefits.