Giving your breakfast a skip seems like an easy way to buy more time during rushed mornings, but doing so on a regular basis may wreak havoc on your health. Several experts have claimed that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It refuels your body after a long slumber. It is very important to kick-start your metabolism. Eating breakfast also reenergises your brain and helps keep blood sugar in control. Skipping breakfast may derail your dieting efforts and lead to weight gain too. According to studies, consuming a high protein breakfast may be linked to quicker and sustainable weight loss.
Here Are Some Reasons Why You May Want To Consider Making Your Breakfast Rich In Protein:
1. A high protein breakfast takes a while to digest. If you feel full, your chances of mindless munching or over-eating declines to a great extent; hence, enable you to manage your weight loss diet better.
2. The body also takes more calories to metabolise protein. This way you burn more calories and lesser the room there is for fats to deposit.
3. Eating high protein breakfast also checks your cravings. It is believed that protein helps regulate hunger hormone ghrelin that helps prevent cravings. Protein also propels a rise in the fullness hormones peptide YY, GLP-1 and cholecystokinin, which further checks cravings. If you are looking for a long-term, sustainable weight-loss, you can consider adding more protein to your diet.
(Also Read: Healthy Diet: How Much Protein Is Enough? Celeb Nutritionist Rashi Chowdhary Reveals All About Protein)
Eating high protein breakfast also checks your cravings.
4. According to a study, published in 2011 in Journal Obesity (Silver Spring), MRI of adolescent girls revealed that a high-protein breakfast reduced the signals in the brain that are responsible to control food motivation and reward-driven behaviour.
5. Including lean protein like eggs, fish and chicken in the breakfast is said to do wonders for weight loss. Unlike red meat, it does not come loaded with fats and help keep you satiated for long. Plant-based protein sources like oats, quinoa and moong dal are also very effective in keeping your weight in check.
(Also Read: 6 Excellent Sources Of Vegetarian Protein for Your Daily Diet)
6. Most dairy-based breakfast staples like milk and yogurt are also high in calcium that helps strengthen your bones and teeth.
For those wondering what to include in breakfast and what to rule out, here are some ideas that may help. It is always good idea to consult a nutritionist before making any major alteration to your diet. It is also imperative to make sure you complement your diet with a good fitness routine.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)