Diet is an integral component of diabetes management. Diabetes is a condition marked by raised blood sugar levels. Refined products, sugary goods and ultra-processed foods may lodge a surge in your blood sugar levels, which is why diabetics are often advised to cut down a lot of their favourite foods. It is best for diabetics to load up on fresh, seasonal veggies, whole grains and protein. Okra or bhindi is touted to be one of the best foods to be added to a diabetes diet. It has a low glycaemic index and it enables low release of sugar in the bloodstream. According to the book 'Healing Foods' okra is a "rich source of many nutrients, including fibre, vitamin B6, and folate. B vitamins slow the progress of diabetic neuropathy and reduce levels of homocysteine, a risk factor for this disease. The soluble fibre also helps to stabilize blood sugar levels." Some people are very fond of bhindi, while some not so. But nonetheless, bhindi is super healthy, incredibly versatile and super easy to prepare too.
Here are some fun ways in which you can incorporate the veggie in your diet:
1. Okra Water: This has to be the easiest thing to prepare in the entire list (lazy cooks we are looking at you). Take some okra, wash it and cut it into small pieces. Leave it overnight. Drink the detox water next morning.
(Also Read: Okra For Diabetes: Here's How Your Favourite Bhindi May Help Regulate Diabetes)
2. Minted chickpeas and crispy okra salad: Okra is an excellent salad ingredient too! This special recipe of ours combines the goodness of protein-rich chickpeas, freshness of mint and fibre-rich okra. Full of delish textures and flavour, this salad is sure to be a highlight of your day.
3. Bhindi Soup: Bhindi can help thicken your soup naturally and give soup for lovely texture. For this okra soup recipe, you would need a mix of healthy vegetables like okra, tomatoes and capsicum. If you want, you can leave out bacon from the recipe.
(Also Read: Souping For Weight Loss: All You Need To Know About The Hottest Soup-Only Diet!)
4. Grilled Okra Salad: Grill some okra in olive oil. Top it with a dash of lime and herbs/spices of your choice.
5. Dahi Bhindi: This traditional bhindi recipe, if cooked in good quality oil and spices, could prove to be an incredible addition to your healthy diet. Wondering how to make it at home? Follow this recipe and let us know how you liked it.