Fancy a few cocktails at the world's best bar? Better be quick: It's preparing to close.
Dandelyan, in the Mondrian, London, last night was named the world's finest in the World's 50 Best Bars awards. The victory came just two days after the bar's founder Ryan Chetiyawardna, a k a Mr Lyan, announced on Instagram that he planned to celebrate Dandelyan's fourth birthday by replacing it with something new.
"We are so excited to have it at this point, to have this pinnacle, and then to look at what we can do next," he said last night on accepting the award at an event attended by bartenders, drinks writers and enthusiasts in the Roundhouse, London. "I made an announcement to you on Monday that we're going to kill Dandelyan, we're going to close it. And it feels so wonderful to do it at this point and move on." He didn't give a date.
Dandelyan first entered the list at No. 50 in 2015, before jumping to No.3 in 2016 and placing second last year. In grabbing the top spot, it toppled the American Bar, at the Savoy hotel in London. Manhattan, Singapore, rose four places to third; The NoMad, New York, slipped one place to fifth. And the Connaught Bar, London, slipped to fifth from fourth.
London has a total of 10 bars on the 2018 list, including newcomers Scout (28), Three Sheets (29), Swift (46) and Coupette (18). The others are Bar Termini (6), Oriole (17) and Happiness Forgets (35).
The U.S. has 10 bars on the list, with The NoMad crowned Best Bar in North America for the second consecutive year. The others are Dante, New York (9); Attaboy, New York (15); Dead Rabbit, New York (16); Sweet Liberty, Miami (21); Employees Only, New York (26); Tommy's, San Francisco (40); Blacktail, New York (41); Trick Dog, San Francisco (44); and Lost Lake, Chicago (50).
Chetiyawardana has received many accolades in recent years, including World's Best Bartender 2015. He's known for innovative cocktails. His current "Modern Life of Plants" menu "explores industrialisation and large scale food systems," according to the bar's website. It's divided into three sections: Mint, Grape and Hops. Dandelyan has received multiple plaudits.
The World's 50 Best Bars is owned and organised by William Reed Business Media, the group behind the World's 50 Best Restaurants awards. The rankings are based on the votes of 505 drinks writers, bartenders and cocktail aficionados in 55 countries.
The World's 50 Best Bars 2018
1. Dandelyan - London
2. American Bar - London
3. Manhattan - Singapore
4. The NoMad - New York
5. Connaught Bar - London
6. Bar Termini - London
7. The Clumsies - Athens, Greece
8. Atlas - Singapore
9. Dante - New York
10. The Old Man - Hong Kong, China
11. Licoreria Limantour - Mexico City
12. Bar High Five - Tokyo, Japan
13. Native - Singapore
14. Floreria Atlantico - Buenos Aires, Argentina
15. Attaboy - New York
16. The Dead Rabbit - New York
17. Oriole - London
18. Coupette - London
19. Himkok - Oslo, Norway
20. Speak Low - Shanghai, China
21. Sweet Liberty - Miami
22. Baba Au Rum - Athens, Greece
23. Operation Dagger - Singapore
24. Le Syndicat - Paris
25. Lost & Found - Nicosia, Cyprus
26. Employees Only - New York
27. Central Station - Beirut, Lebanon
28. Scout - London
29. Three Sheets - London
30. Black Pearl - Melbourne, Australia
31. Tales and Spirits - Amsterdam
32. Linje Tio - Stockholm, Sweden
33. Little Red Door - Paris
34. 28 HongKong Street - Singapore
35. Happiness Forgets - London
36. La Factoria - Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
37. Paradiso - Barcelona, Spain
38. Indulge Experimental Bistro - Taipei, Taiwan
39. El Copitas - St Petersburg, Russia
40. Tommy's - San Francisco
41. BlackTail - New York
42. Candelaria - Paris
43. Schumann's - Munich, Germany
44. Trick Dog - San Francisco
45. Fifty Mils - Mexico City
46. Swift - London
47. Salmon Guru - Madrid, Spain
48. Buck and Breck - Berlin, Germany
49. Bar Benfiddich - Tokyo
50. Lost Lake - Chicago
- Vines is the chief food critic at Bloomberg.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)