Indian cuisine is one of the most diverse cuisines in the world. Each region has something unique and flavourful to offer. While there are plenty of options to choose from - one such regional cuisine that dominates the heart of seafood lovers is Konkani cuisine. The Konkan region comprises the coastal areas of Maharashtra, Goa and Karnataka, and its cuisine is best known for its seafood dishes. If you're someone who loves to eat fish, then this delicious recipe by Chef Guntas is just for you. It is homestyle Konkani fish curry. And who doesn't like a perfectly cooked home meal? This fish curry not only oozes rich flavours but also makes for a wholesome meal.
Chef Guntas took to her Instagram to share the recipe and wrote alongside, "At home, we make this Konkani style fish curry almost every weekend. It's a wholesome and hearty family meal that's filled with flavour and my dad's favourite!" Let's take a look at the recipe:
Homestyle Konkani Fish Curry Recipe: How To Make Homestyle Konkani Fish Curry
- 7-8 Kashmiri red chillies
- 8-10 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp coriander leaves
- 1/2 finely chopped coconut
- 1 tomato
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp jeera
- 3 sliced green red chillies
- A handful of curry leaves
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3-4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt and red chilli powder to taste
- 500gms fish cubes
- 1/2 lemon
- Ginger-garlic paste (as required)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 4-5 Kokum
- Coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Soak 7-8 Kashmiri red chillies, 8-10 cloves of garlic and 2 tsp coriander seeds for 1/2 an hour.
- Drain & blitz in a mixer with 1/2 finely chopped coconut and 1 tomato.
- Strain it, then add more water to the residue and blitz it again and strain it. This ensures that you get the maximum curry juice to work with.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp jeera, 3 sliced green red chillies, a handful of curry leaves and sauté.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion and 3-4 chopped garlic cloves. Sauté until brown.
- Add the masala made earlier. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt & red chilli powder to taste. Let it cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes continuously stirring.
- Meanwhile marinate 500 grams of fish cubes in turmeric, salt, ginger-garlic paste and 1/2 lemon for 15-20 mins.
- Once the curry has almost cooked, add the fish & let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder & 4-5 Kokum. Let it cool for 5 mins. Garnish with coriander leaves & serve with warm rice.
Chef Guntas also added the following tip in the caption:
- Cook this up with local ingredients for a fresh and delicious curry served with steamed or ghee rice!
Watch the full making of this homestyle Konkani fish curry recipe here:
Looks delicious, right? If you are in search of more fish curry recipes, click here. Try out these recipes and let us know which one you like the best.