Sore throat is a common problem faced by a large number of people nowadays. Air pollution is at an all-time high and is identified as a major leading cause. We are also seeing that unlike a flu, this soreness is present for a longer period of time. Whatever the cause, it is a very uncomfortable situation and needs care for recovery. Eating a well-balanced diet helps build immunity and keep our body strong internally. What we need is a solution to deal with the symptoms and reduce the discomfort.
Symptoms of sore throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Pain, tenderness in throat
- Irritation because of inflammation
This may be accompanied with a feeling of malaise, low energy, and constant headache. In addition to a proper treatment from your doctor, here are some common home remedies that will help deal with the symptoms and make you comfortable and heal faster.
GARGLE: warm water gargles help in soothing the throat and loosening phlegm.
- Salt and warm water is the easiest.
- Turmeric water mixed with a pinch of salt is great for reducing inflammation locally. You can drink it too.
- Basil leaves boiled in water and strained make for a soothing gargle too.
These can be used 2-3 times a day or if very intense symptoms, then maybe 2 hourly.
DRINK: Warm fluids. It will keep you hydrated, nourished and keep the throat soothed.
- Honey: is a well-established antibacterial agent and a wound healer. Both these properties make for a remedy for sore throat. Try some in warm water, it will also energise you.
- Lemon and warm water. There is a tendency to avoid lemon as its citric taste may irritate the throat, but contrary to the popular belief, it is seen that lemon helps remove mucous and provides pain relief. In addition, lemon is one of the richest sources of vitamin C , a natural immunity booster and a strong antioxidant
- Tea Chest: Try clove or green tea; with their well-known antibacterial properties, they work against infections. In addition, their powerful anti-inflammatory properties help soothe the throat and fight infection. Chamomile tea will work as a natural lubricant helping you voice yourself without effort and it also soothes nerves and helps sleep better which is the best remedy for recovery. Peppermint tea is said to numb pain so is another choice you can make.
- Herbs and roots: Liquorice roots have been used to sooth a sore throat for centuries. Boiling them in water for 5-10 minutes makes a decoction that can be taken like a cough syrup. Thriphala powder can be soaked in water overnight, strained and consumed. Triphala is a rich source of Vitamin C among other antioxidants.
EAT: Nourishing food to help the body heal.
- Khichri is food for the soul with a sore throat. It is warm with spices that support digestion and help in healing. Add vegetables and it's a whole meal.
- Warm custards and kheers are again soothing and vitalising. They can also be taken cold, wherein they act as anaesthetics for the inflammation and pain.
- Yogurt or dahi help with their probiotic properties, keeping the digestion in top shape. Take it at room temperature.
- Cough and colds are a part of the seasonal change. Make sure you do not delay your doctor consultation and get a proper treatment. Stay safe and healthy.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Featured Video Of The Day
About Rupali DattaRupali Datta is a Clinical Nutritionist and has worked in leading corporate hospitals. She has created and lead teams of professionals to deliver clinical solutions for patients across all medical specialties including critical care. She is a member of the Indian Dietetic Association and Indian Association of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition.