We have all heard the saying that 'food is medicine' due to their inherent medicinal and healing properties for the human body. The best medicine to protect you from viruses and diseases is the food you eat. In the times of the Covid-19 pandemic, what we eat becomes all the more important. Building immunity and giving a boost to our physical and mental wellbeing is of the utmost importance in these testing times. Here are some tips on how you can alter your diet to make your body less-prone to illness and give it the strength to power through.
(Also Read: 6 Immunity Boosting Foods That You'll Easily Find At Home)
- Colourful fruits and vegetables are an absolute must in the diet. They contain all the essential vitamins that will give a boost to your immune system and help keep diseases at bay.
- Foods such as carrots, spinach and sweet potatoes contain good compounds that help in cell proliferation, or rapid growth of new cells in the body. This is a key component of immune system's health and thus these foods are important.
- Vitamin C-rich foods are also very beneficial in the quest to keep the immune system functional and healthy. Citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons can help with inflammation and prevent infections from occurring in the body.
- Another key component for good immunity is the Omega-3 fatty acids. These good fats are found in nuts and seeds such as flax or chia seeds. They help build a good and healthy immune system, according to research.
- Lastly, probiotics and fermented food are loaded with good bacteria which help in maintaining a healthy gut. The gut is where 70% of our immune system is housed, which is why probiotics such as yogurt or kombucha can be a wonderful addition to the diet.
(Also Read: Here's The Surprising Link Between Your Gut And Immunity, And How To Keep Both Healthy)
These tips will not just help in boosting immunity, but also help in maintaining good bone health, healthy joints and glowing skin. You will surely see a difference in your digestive health along with a good immunity. However, do not go overboard with the consumption of these ingredients in order to boost your immunity. Always eat a balanced diet and consult your doctor or nutritionist before making any major changes to your diet plan.