With the increased interest in vegetarianism around the world, restaurants and cafes are also leaving no stones unturned to cater to this new surge in clientele. The rise in number of new and innovative vegetarian recipes is proof that people are more than willing to experiment with vegetarian food. But sometimes, our heart craves for simple delicacies too - especially the dishes that have ruled our spread since time immemorial. Dum aloo is one such dish we can have at any point of the day. There is no dearth of potato lovers in this country, and if you ask them to list some of their favourite dish, dum aloo is sure to make the cut.
Recipe Video: Dum Aloo From Mealability Restaurant
Dum aloo is also one of the easiest potato delicacies you can put together; and in this chef-special recipe by chef Sanjay Rana, we have dug out how Mealability restaurant prepares the dish. This crispy fried potatoes are a mishmash of spicy and tangy flavours and are a perfect accompaniment to your hot breads and rice.
(Also Read: Unique Lockdown Recipe: Lauki Ki Al Yakhni Is A Delectable Kashmiri Specialty That You Must Try (Recipe Video)
The Kashmiri recipe truly is incomplete without the correct spices, so make sure you only use Kashmiri red chilly powder for this treat. It is cooked without onion, garlic and tomato and has a delightful dry consistency. You can watch the video or refer to the step-by-step written recipe here. Try this recipe at home and let us know how you liked it in the comments below!
(Also Read: 6 Incredible Kahwa Tea Benefits, The Flavourful Kashmiri Green Tea)
• 8-10 baby potatoes
• 2 tbsp mustard oil
• 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili
• 1/2 tsp ginger powder
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 3 bay leaves
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1 black cardamom
• 1 tsp fennel powder
• 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
• 2 cups water
• Salt to taste
1. Boil baby potatoes with a skewer make small holes in the boiled potatoes.
2. In a pan, add oil and let it heat.
3. Fry boiled baby potatoes for 10-15 minutes until crisp from the outside
4. In another pan, add mustard oil along with black cardamom, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
5. Add some Kashmiri chili powder and some water to the paste.
6. Add the fried potatoes in the gravy, mix it all well.
7. Add salt to taste and some water to the gravy.
8. Add ginger powder, garam masala, cumin powder, fennel powder and fenugreek leaves into the gravy.
9. Mix it well and cook until the gravy is thick.
10. Serve hot.
11. Get your baby potatoes which are firm and tender. Potatoes with discoloration on skin should be omitted.