Anulom Vilom, also known as the alternate breathing technique, is excellent for respiratory problems and asthma. It facilitates proper functioning of the lungs, mitigates stress, lifts up your mood and keeps stress at bay.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom
1. Excellent for respiratory issues like asthma and allergies
2. Helps in balancing and relaxing the nervous system
3. Helps relieve headaches
4. Removes toxins from the body
5. Builds up stamina in the lungs
6. Reduces stress and keeps anxiety and depression at bay
"This yoga pose is perfect for all ages. You must do it at least 60 times, divided throughout the day. The technique is excellent for healing, chakra balancing and getting rid of breathing or respiratory problems. This can be done even after meals. Practicing yoga pose may help speed up the recovery process for those who have recently undergone a surgery. You must start with the stronger nostril. Exhale longer and deeper," shares Manisha Kohli from The Yoga Chakra Studio in New Delhi.
How to do Anulom Vilom?
- Always sit in Sukhasana with your hands resting sideways on the knees.
- You can also sit in Padmasana.
- If you begin from the left then close the right nostril with your right thumb and inhale slowly to fill up your lungs.
- Now, exhale slowly from the right nostril.
- It is essential to focus on your breath and practice the technique slowly.
- Repeat 60 times or for 5 minutes. You can do this any time of the day.
- Ensure that your back is straight and shoulders relaxed while you perform the pranayam.
Anulom translates to 'with the grain' while Vilom stands for 'against the grain'. This simple breathing exercise - when performed regularly - is known to balance the Tridoshas (three doshas) in the body namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Most ailments are a result of an imbalance in these doshas in the body. Anulom Vilom is probably the easiest and the most effective way to stay fit and healthy.