Yoga has long been touted as one of the best ways to tame some of the most common health woes. Asanas like vajrasana, when done regularly after meals, ensure active, smooth and strengthened digestion. Can yoga help in relieving gas, bloating and ease gastric issues ? Yes, absolutely. Yoga expert Yogacharya Anoop of the Chaitanya Foundation enumerates the benefits of Pawanmuktasana which is specifically beneficial in easing bloating and gastric troubles. "Basically, any yoga asana or exercise that involves your lower body and spinal twists will aid in gastric ailments and bloating While Pawanmuktasana is the best bet for such health concerns you can also try a range of other poses like Janu naman asana (knee bending pose) and exercises like leg rotations, lower back twists," he noted.
Benefits of Pawanmuktasana (The Wind Relieving Pose)
- It helps make the intestinal activity more active.
- It helps the liver in performing better.
- When teamed with its counter pose Setubandhasana, it also helps strengthen the spine, especially the lumbar region.
How to get into the pose
- Lie flat on your back; keep your legs and arms extended.
- Bring your knees together and hold with both your hands.
- Release left leg and keep it extended on the floor, hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- Now, bring back your left leg, hold both legs and release your right leg.
- Repeat for a minute, do thrice.
Things to keep in mind
- Those who suffer from neck or spinal issues should avoid doing the posture.
- One of the other versions of the posture also requires you to bend your neck forward every time your knees meet the chest. You can also try the posture without alternating the legs.
All yoga postures must be observed under strict supervision. Get in touch with a certified yoga expert to learn which postures will suit you the best and how to practice them to reap maximum health benefits.