How To Make Banarasi Ghughni
About Benarasi Ghugni Recipe: Varanasi is known for some amazing food delicacies that are age old and are famous across the globe. Right from the kitchen of Varanasi here we toss up some delicious Banarasi Ghugni! The recipe of which is age old yet never fails to surprise our taste buds. Served with piping hot poori or kachori.
Ingredients of Benarasi Ghugni
- 1/2 Kg chana
- For the base:
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- 2 red onions , finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 7-8 garlic, finely chopped
- 4-5 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 Brown cardamoms
- 5-6 Green cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp nustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- to taste salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 Lemons (juiced)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp ghee
How to Make Benarasi Ghugni
- 1.Soak and pressure-cook the chana till almost done.
- 2.In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the mustard oil till it's smoking.
- 3.Into this, add the dry spices - brown cardamom, green cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Fry the spices in the mustard oil lightly.
- 4.Add in the onions and saute until they brown.
- 5.Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli, stir to mix and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 6.Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- 7.Add a little water to bring all the ingredients together.
- 8.Cook for 2-3 minutes to let this base amalgamate.
- 9.Add the cooked chana to the base.
- 10.Add a cup of water and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- 11.Once cooked, squeeze in the lime juice, drizzle with ghee and sprinkle a handful of coriander leaves to garnish.
- 12.Serve with poori or kachori.
Key Ingredients: chana, For the base:, mustard oil, red onions , ginger, garlic, green chilies, Brown cardamoms, Green cardamoms, cinnamon, Bay leaves, cumin seeds, nustard seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, water, Lemons (juiced), coriander leaves, ghee