Dal Gosht Recipe
How to make Dal Gosht
All you need with this meat and lentil one pot dish are plain rotis.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 10 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings8
Ingredients of Dal Gosht
- 1 kg mutton / lamb, cut into pieces
- 1-cup (240 gm) ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 cups (250 gm) onions, sliced thin
- 10 chhoti elaichi (green cardamoms)
- 10 laung (cloves)
- 1 tsp seeds of badi elaichi (black cardamom), powdered
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder
- 3 Tbsp powdered dhania (coriander)
- 1 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 cup (200 gm) dahi (yogurt)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped hara dhania (coriander leaves) for garnish
- 1/2 cup dhuli urad-- husked black gram, soaked for about an hour
How to Make Dal GoshtHideShow Media
Mix together, the elaichi, laung, badi elaichi, chilli powder, dhania powder, haldi, ginger and garlic paste, dahi, salt and the meat.
In the pan in which you plan to cook the meat, heat the ghee and fry the onions till brown and crisp.
Drain the onions out of the hot ghee with a slotted spoon. Cool and grind to a paste (using some water to facilitate this). Keep aside.
Add the meat mixture to the remaindered ghee over high heat.
Turn around to mix well, and when the meat pieces look opaque, lower the heat and let it simmer, covered, for about an hour or till the meat is tender and the fat separates.
Keep stirring a few times to see that it does not scorch. (If the meat is tender before fat separates, remove the pieces and cook the masala till fat separates, and then add the meat back ).
Add the onion paste and soaked daal and cook daal is tender and serve garnished with the coriander leaves.
In case you want some gravy to it, add water according to taste, and simmer for another five minutes before serving.