How to make Panchratna Dal
About Panchratna Dal Recipe: A super tasty and healthy Rajasthani dal preparation with five lentils: Moong, channa, masoor, urad and tuar or arhar cooked with masalas to make a creamy dish.
Ingredients of Panchratna Dal
- 1/4 Cup whole urad dal (black lentils)
- 1/4 cup chana dal ( Bengal gram split)
- 1/4 cup moong (whole green grams)
- 1/4 cup masoor dal (Egyptian lentils)
- 1/4 cup tuar dal ( Arhar/ pigeon peas )
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (Garlic: optional )
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 large tomatoes
- As per taste salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida powder (Hing)
- for garnishing coriander leaves
How to Make Panchratna Dal
- 1.Mix, pick, rinse several times and soak the lentils in water for 1-2 hours.
- 2.In a pressure cooker ( or slow cooker ) add the mix of lentils and pour some water, till the water level reaches above the level of lentils. Add salt and turmeric and pressure cook ( or cook it, if using slow cooker) till 3-4 whistles of cooker.
- 3.If cooking in a pan, let the water reach the boiling point and then simmer on low heat for 30 -40 minutes.Be sure to cover the pan and to stir the dal occasionally. Add some more water if needed.
- 4.Meanwhile in a frying pan or kadahi, pour 1 1/2-2 tbsp of ghee or oil and let it heat up. Carefully add a pinch of hing and some cumin seeds.
- 5.When cumin is brown, add ginger garlic or just ginger paste, saute well, then add onions and saute again till slight brown in colour.
- 6.Add tomatoes, green chillies, coriander powder and cook well till oil separates out or till tomatoes are cooked well.
- 7.Now just whisk the dal slightly and pour it in the pan or kadahi ( you can pour the onion- tomato mixture in the cooker if your frying pan cannot accommodate the dal).
- 8.Mix well, add some water if needed and cook on low flame for atleast 15 minutes or pressure cook it till 3 whistles of cooker.Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 9.Adjust the consistency of dal. This dal is supposed to be of creamy consistency.The longer you cook it on low flame , the more creamy texture is obtained.
- 10.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- 11.Serve it with rice/ roti.
Key Ingredients: whole urad dal (black lentils), chana dal ( Bengal gram split), moong (whole green grams), masoor dal (Egyptian lentils), tuar dal ( Arhar/ pigeon peas ), onions, ginger garlic paste (Garlic: optional ), green chillies, tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, ghee/oil, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder (Hing), coriander leaves