Mangalorean Fish Recipe
King fish or surmai wrapped in a freshly made Mangalorean masala and steamed in banana leaves.
- Total Cook Time 40 mins
- Prep Time 05 mins
- Cook Time 35 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Mangalorean Fish
- 2 half inch steaks of King fish or Surmai
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp dry roasted desiccated coconut
- 2 Tbsp browned chopped onions
- Banana leaves to wrap
- Salt to season
- For the Mangalore masala:
- 12-15 dry whole red chillies
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 2-3 madrasi onions/regular onions
- Dash of vinegar
- Salt to taste
- For the aromatic masala:
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp fennel seeds or saunf
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds or jeera
- 2-3 seeds fenugreek or methi dana
How to Make Mangalorean FishHideShow Media
For the Mangalore masala:
Soak all the ingredients overnight in vinegar.
Then, puree in a mixer.
For the aromatic masala:
Dry roast all ingredients and grind to a powder form.
Smear the fish with lemon juice and salt.
Add 4 tsp chilli paste, 1 tbsp of the aromatic masala, 5-6 curry leaves, browned desiccated coconut, 2 tbsp browned chopped onions together and mix well.
Spread the mixture evenly on the fish steaks.
Wrap the steaks in banana leaves and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or till done.