Imbul Kiri Bath - Milk Rice Recipe
Imbul Kiri Bath is a traditional dish from Sri Lanka. 'Kiri Bath' means milk rice. Rice infused with coconut milk and layered with a coconut-treacle mix.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 05 mins
- Prep Time 05 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
Ingredients of Imbul Kiri Bath - Milk Rice
- For the coconut treacle mix:
- 800 gm finely scraped coconut
- 2 cups treacle (coconut or Kithul treacle)
- 4 cloves
- Pinch of salt
- For the milk rice:
- 2 cups short grain white rice
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
How to Make Imbul Kiri Bath - Milk RiceHideShow Media
For the coconut treacle mix:
1. Pour the treacle into a pot and bring to a boil while stirring.
2. Add the coconut and mix well. Take off the heat.
3. Add the pinch of salt and the cloves and mix well.
For the milk rice:
1. Put rice and water into a pan and bring to a boil.
2. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add coconut milk and salt.
3. Stir with handle of wooden spoon, cover and cook on low heat for another 10-15 minutes (until the milk has been absorbed).
4. Divide the slightly cooled milk rice into two portions.
5. On a flat dish, evenly spread out a layer of milk rice using one portion (should be at least 1 cm thick).
6. Then evenly spread the coconut treacle mix on top. Cover it completely with the second portion of the milk rice.
7. It is important to do all this before the milk rice cools down too much as it will become too sticky to handle. Cut into blocks.
8. Serve with bananas for breakfast or at tea time.