How to make Kanji Vada
About Kanji Vada recipe: The festival of Holi is just around the corner and it is incomplete without some scrumptious dishes shared with your loved ones that only add to the vibrant colours of the festival. Kanji Vada is one such dish that is savoured during the festival. It is spicy drink made with spices such as asafoetida, red chilli, black salt etc, served along with vada made from moong dal. It is tangy, sweet and spicy at once and can easily be made at home.
Ingredients of Kanji Vada
- 2 Litre water
- 2 pinches of asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- For Vada:
- 100 gms moong dal
- to taste salt
- oil for frying
How to Make Kanji Vada
- 1.Take water in a vessel and let in simmer on flame. After this let it cool down and then pour into glasses or plastic container.
- 2.To it then add asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, yellow mustard, salt, black salt and mix everything really well.
- 3.Close the container tightly with a lid and keep aside for 3 days. Stir the kanji everyday with a clean and dry spoon.
- 4.Kanji tastes great on the fourth day when all spices mix to the water. Tangy-zingy and yummy kanji is ready.
- 5.To make vadas, clean moong dal thoroughly and soak in water for 2 hours. Drain out the excess water later.
- 6.Grind the soaked moong dal in a mixture jar coarsely. Take out the dal in a mixing bowl and add salt to it. Whisk well.
- 7.Heat enough oil in a wok or pan to deep fry the vadas.
- 8.Pinch small ball from the mixture and drop it to the hot oil. Place 8 to 10 vadas in oil at a time or as many as possible.
- 9.Now deep fry the vadas till they get fluffy and golden brown from all sides.
- 10.Drain out the fried vadas on paper kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
- 11.Soak these fried vadas in lukewarm water for 15 minutes and then squeeze out the excess water.
- 12.Place 4 to 5 vadas in one serving of kanji. Serve and enjoy this soothing and refreshing drink.
Key Ingredients: water, asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, yellow mustard, salt, black salt, mustard oil, moong dal, salt, oil for frying