Kathal Ka Achaar Recipe
How to make Kathal Ka Achaar
About Kathal Ka Achaar Recipe: Jackfruit marinated in oil and loaded with red chilly gives you one of the spiciest Indian pickles.
- Total Cook Time 50 mins
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time 35 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Kathal Ka Achaar
- 3 Kg kathal (jackfruit)(cut into chunks), peeled
- 1 1/4 cup salt + 1/4 cup for the water
- 1 cup haldi (turmeric)
- 2 1/2 cups pissi rai (powdered mustard seeds)
- 1 cup kuti lal mirch (coarsely ground red pepper)
- 2 tbsp kalonji (onion seeds)
- 2 tbsp heeng (asafoetida)
- 2 kg sarson ka tel (mustard oil)
How to Make Kathal Ka AchaarHideShow Media
Boil kathal with 1/4 cup salt in it.
Drain out the water and leave kathal to dry up. You might have to pat it dry.
When cool and dry, mix in salt, rai, lal mirch, kalonji and heeng.
Keep this covered and marinated for 4 days, stir once a day.
Pack this tightly into a sterilized jar.
Heat the oil till the aroma is very strong.
Cool to room temperature and pour over the kathal.
The oil should come above the kathal mixture.
Let the pickle mature for another 2-3 days before you consume it.
Like all pickles, ensure that it stays covered with oil, so it stays good throughout the year.