How to make Melagu (rice) Pongal
Recipe Servings: 2
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Easy
Rice pongal is a popular dish of Tamil Nadu. This spicy version with rice, moong dal and peppercorns is traditionally known as Melagu Pongal.
Ingredients of Melagu (rice) Pongal
- 1 Cup Rice (dry-roasted and washed)
- 1/2 Split moong dal (washed0, roasted
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 5 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (powdered), roasted
- 1 tsp Black peppercorns (powdered), roasted
- 2-3 Tbsp Cashew nuts (split)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- To taste Salt
How to Make Melagu (rice) Pongal
- 1.Cook rice, daal and turmeric in the water, till soft and keep aside.
- 2.Heat ghee and add the cumin seeds, peppercorns, cashew nuts and curry leaves.
- 3.Saute till slightly colored.
- 4.Add heeng, salt and the rice mixture and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
Key Ingredients: Rice (dry-roasted and washed), Split moong dal (washed0, Turmeric, Water, Ghee, Cumin seeds (powdered), Black peppercorns (powdered), Cashew nuts (split), Curry leaves, Asafoetida, Salt