How to make Mutta Aviyal
Recipe Servings: 4
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
Potatoes and boiled eggs cooked together in a tangy tamarind gravy, seasoned with coconut, mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. A Kerala egg delicacy!
Ingredients of Mutta Aviyal
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 Tbsp grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 pods of garlic
- 4 green chillies
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 6 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
How to Make Mutta Aviyal
- 1.In a pan, par boil the potatoes with three tablespoons of tamarind paste in two cups of water.
- 2.Dry roast the coconut, garlic, cumin seeds, green chillies and turmeric powder.
- 3.Grind the roasted masala with a dash of water into a paste. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan, add the masala paste and saute for a minute.
- 4.Add three tablespoons of tamarind paste along with red chilli powder and salt, stir.
- 5.Then add the potato and tamarind stock and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- 6.Slice the eggs in half and gently place them in the gravy.
- 7.Cover and let it simmer for about 5 mins. In another pan, heat one tablespoon of oil with the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- 8.Let them crackle for a few secs and quickly add it to the gravy. Serve hot.
Key Ingredients: 3 Tbsp oil, 4 hard boiled eggs, 2 Tbsp grated coconut, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 pods of garlic, 4 green chillies, 2 potatoes, diced, 6 Tbsp tamarind paste, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 3/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp urad dal, 5-6 curry leaves, Salt to taste