How to make Plum and Cherry Roasted Chicken
About Plum and Cherry Roasted Chicken Recipe: A delicious chicken dish to devour at your next dinner party! Filled with veggies, butter and tangy lemon essence, this chicken recipe will be a sure shot hit among your friends and family.
Ingredients of Plum and Cherry Roasted Chicken
- 1/2 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
- 1/3 Cup Carrot (finely diced)
- 1/3 Cup Onion (finely diced)
- 1/3 Cup Celery (finely diced)
- 2 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 2.25 Kg Whole free range chicken
- Pepper (freshly ground)
- Parsley stems
- Celery leaves
- 6 Lemon slices (1/8 inch thick)
- 1/2 Cup Onion, sliced
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 Cup Chicken stock/broth
- 10 Plums (cut)
- 20 Nos Fresh cherries
How to Make Plum and Cherry Roasted Chicken
- 1.Preheat the oven to 425 degree C. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet.
- 2.Add the diced carrots, onion and celery and cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the herbs.
- 3.Wash the chicken rapidly inside out with hot water and pat thoroughly dry.
- 4.Pull the neck skin up over the breast and secure it to the back with a toothpick.
- 5.Add salt and pepper to cooked vegetables, a handful of parsley stems and celery leaves along with the lemon slices.
- 6.Massage the chicken all over with 1 tablespoon of butter, and then truss it. Alternatively, tie the ends of the drumsticks together and tuck the wings under the body.
- 7.Take a heat proof roasting pan that is about 1 inch larger than the chicken. Salt the chicken all over and set its breast up on a rack in the pan.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for about 120 minutes, as follows:
- 1.At 15 minutes, brush the chicken with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Scatter the sliced onion and carrot all around. Reduce the oven temperature to 350.
- 2.At 45 minute, brush the lemon juice over the chicken. If necessary, add 1/2 cup of water to the vegetables to prevent burning.
- 3.At 60 minutes, baste with the pan juices.
- 4.To test, check the drumsticks should move easily in their sockets; their flesh should feel somewhat soft. If not, continue roasting, basting and testing every 7 to 8 minutes.
- 5.Spear the chicken through the shoulders; lift to drain; if the last of the juices run clear yellow, the chicken is done.
- 6.Let rest on a carving board for 15 minutes; discard the string. Spoon all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the juices in the pan.
- 7.Add the stock and boil until lightly syrupy for about 5 minutes. Strain; you will have just enough to bathe each serving with a fragrant spoonful.
- 8.Serve hot with roasted plums and cherries.
Key Ingredients: Carrot (finely diced), Onion (finely diced), Celery (finely diced), Fresh thyme sprigs, Whole free range chicken , Pepper (freshly ground), Parsley stems, Celery leaves, Lemon slices (1/8 inch thick), Onion, Carrot, Fresh lemon juice, Chicken stock/broth, Plums (cut), Fresh cherries