We have to agree that a glass of milk is not just a beverage in India. It is no less than our very own desi magic potion. Packed with a dozen health benefits, milk is often dubbed as a 'complete food'. According to Bangalore-based nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood, "Except iron, milk has all major nutrients required to sustain a healthy lifestyle, which is why we also call it a complete food. It is dense with nutrients like protein, vitamin A, B1, B2, B12, D, calcium, potassium and magnesium". Milk plays an integral role in overall growth and development of the body. From stronger bones, immunity, healthy skin to inducing sleep, the benefits of milk are aplenty. Did you know chugging a glass or two of milk daily may also help you shed a pound or two? The nutrient loaded drink is a favourite of fitness enthusiasts and nutritionists across the world when it comes to natural and effective weight loss.
Here's How Milk May Support Weight Loss:
1. Milk makes for an excellent source of protein, and if you are even remotely aware of the world of fitness, we are sure you would know its significance on an ideal weight loss diet chart. Proteins are the building blocks of life and they have many functions; one of them is regulating the hunger hormones. Milk is abundantly loaded with proteins like casein, albumin and globulin. By keeping you satiated, it increases levels of appetite-reducing hormones like GLP-1, PYY and CCK, while reducing levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin, making you crave less.
2. Calcium, apart from building bones and teeth, could help facilitate weight loss too. According to some studies, calcium and vitamin D content helps the body burn calories by increasing the metabolism.
3. The book 'Healing Foods' by DK Publishing House mentions that milk has high amounts of Vitamin B3 (niacin), which may help maintain a steady weight and improve energy expenditure.
4. Protein takes longer to digest; this in turn induces the feeling of satiety. If you are feeling full, you would binge less and keep fattening foods away.
Protein takes longer to digest; this in turn induces the feeling of satiety
5. Some of the most recent studies reveal that conjugated linolenic acid found in milk can help in burning fat.
Milk is one of the best bets for vegetarians, who often find themselves in dearth of options while seeking for protein sources. Goat milk, cow milk, buffalo milk are some of the most commercially available milk options in the market. You can make delicious protein shakes, blend them in smoothies or include it in healthy oatmeal or porridge. Try and opt for low-fat or skimmed versions that are available in the market. It is also advisable to avoid flavoured milk, which often contains significant amounts of added sugar.
CommentsBefore you start loading up on milk, make sure you check for all allergies. It is advisable for people who are lactose intolerant to keep away from milk, and look for other protein source instead. Again, milk is not all that you need for weight loss; you would have to have an overall diet plan that is packed with healthy veggies and fruits for weight loss. One cannot rule out the importance of physical activity too. In fact, milk is an excellent post-workout drink that you can try this season