We have to agree that a glass of milk is not just a beverage in India. It is no less than our very own desi magic potion. Packed with a dozen health benefits, milk is often dubbed as a 'complete food'. According to Bangalore-based nutritionist Dr. Anju Sood, "Except iron, milk has all major nutrients required to sustain a healthy lifestyle, which is why we also call it a complete food. It is dense with nutrients like protein, vitamin A, B1, B2, B12, D, calcium, potassium and magnesium". Milk plays an integral role in overall growth and development of the body. From stronger bones, immunity, healthy skin to inducing sleep, the benefits of milk are aplenty. Did you know chugging a glass or two of milk daily may also help you shed a pound or two? The nutrient loaded drink is a favourite of fitness enthusiasts and nutritionists across the world when it comes to natural and effective weight loss.
Here's How Milk May Support Weight Loss:
1. Milk makes for an excellent source of protein, and if you are even remotely aware of the world of fitness, we are sure you would know its significance on an ideal weight loss diet chart. Proteins are the building blocks of life and they have many functions; one of them is regulating the hunger hormones. Milk is abundantly loaded with proteins like casein, albumin and globulin. By keeping you satiated, it increases levels of appetite-reducing hormones like GLP-1, PYY and CCK, while reducing levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin, making you crave less.
2. Calcium, apart from building bones and teeth, could help facilitate weight loss too. According to some studies, calcium and vitamin D content helps the body burn calories by increasing the metabolism.3. The book 'Healing Foods' by DK Publishing House mentions that milk has high amounts of Vitamin B3 (niacin), which may help maintain a steady weight and improve energy expenditure. 4. Protein takes longer to digest; this in turn induces the feeling of satiety. If you are feeling full, you would binge less and keep fattening foods away.
5. Some of the most recent studies reveal that conjugated linolenic acid found in milk can help in burning fat. (Also Read: 6 Excellent Sources of Vegetarian Protein for Your Daily Diet)
Other Health Benefits Of Milk:
Milk is one drink which is no less than a wonder potion for everyone who takes it, be it an infant or a senior citizen. Apart from weight loss, there are a number of health benefits offered by the humble drink. These make it an all-rounder drink, which is why nutritionists and dieticians swear by it and highly recommend including it in the diet.
1. Loaded With Nutrients
Be it Vitamin C, Protein or Calcium - milk is one drink which has everything you could need in a day's work, and more.
2. Boosts Bone Health
The high calcium content in milk ensures strong bones and teeth. This is an added bonus that is not offered by most naturally occurring foods and drinks.
3. Builds Immunity
Milk is a must-have during times of seasonal change, since it helps build immunity especially when paired with ingredients such as turmeric or ginger.
4. Healthy And Versatile
With the nutritional benefits already manifold, milk can be teamed with a number of additional spices such as saunf, elaichi for even more nourishment. It can easily be added into your favourite dish such as a smoothie bowl.
5. Great Post-Workout Drink
Workouts often take a toll on us, which is when a tall glass of milk comes into the picture. The drink replenishes the nutrients in the body and keeps the energy levels up too.
6. Ideal For Hair And Skin Care
Whether it is through application or even drinking it, milk can be infinitely effective for maintaining healthy hair and skin. It is often used in a number of ways to keep the hair and skin shiny and glowing.
7. May Help Lower Blood Pressure
A combination of potassium helps keep a check on the amount of sodium in the body, which may help in lowering blood pressure levels.
Side Effects of Milk:
Moderate consumption of milk does not possibly have any side effects on the human body. The overconsumption, however, may result in certain health problems such as eruption of acne etc. In a study conducted published on the website of the US National Library of Medicine, it is clearly stated, "The totality of available scientific evidence supports that intake of milk and dairy products contribute to meet nutrient recommendations, and may protect against the most prevalent chronic diseases, whereas very few adverse effects have been reported." Thus, the only caution in mind to keep is if you are allergic to milk. Rest assured, milk can be consumed without having to worry. In case of any doubt, it is a good idea to consult a qualified medical practitioner.
What To Keep In Mind When Consuming Milk For Weight Loss?
Before you start loading up on milk, make sure you check for all allergies. It is advisable for people who are lactose intolerant to keep away from milk, and look for other protein source instead. Again, milk is not all that you need for weight loss; you would have to have an overall diet plan that is packed with healthy veggies and fruits for weight loss. One cannot rule out the importance of physical activity too. In fact, milk is an excellent post-workout drink that you can try this season.
Milk is one of the best bets for vegetarians, who often find themselves in dearth of options while seeking for protein sources. Goat milk, cow milk, buffalo milk are some of the most commercially available milk options in the market. You can make delicious protein shakes, blend them in smoothies or include it in healthy oatmeal or porridge. Try and opt for low-fat or skimmed versions that are available in the market. It is also advisable to avoid flavoured milk, which often contains significant amounts of added sugar.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.