Aam Ka Achaar
Recipe Servings: 4
The perfect accompaniment to a full fledged Punjabi meal. This Punjabi style mango pickle is made with whole spices and stored in mustard oil.
- 2 1/2 kg mango, chopped into desired size
- 100 gm fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 50 gm coarsely ground red pepper
- 60 gm onion seeds (kalonji)
- 100 gm fennel seeds (saunf)
- 2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 50 gm turmeric powder
- 300 gm salt
- 1 1/2 liters mustard oil
- Mix all the spices together and add half a cup of oil to the mix. Sprinkle a little of this mixture into the jar.
- Take some mangoes and rub them well in the spice mixture. Put one layer of the mangoes in the jar and sprinkle some more spice mixture on top.
- Keep repeating the layering process with a sprinkle of mixture till the mangoes are used up. Put all the remaining mixture on top of these layers.
- Add the rest of the oil to the jar until its contents are covered. Keep in the sun for a week then store. The contents will be very tender in a month.
- Serve with your favorite parantha!