Recipe of Aatukkari Kuzhambu with Steamed Rice
Recipe Servings: 4
South Indian lamb curry with coconut milk, tamarind and curry leaf tempering.
- 500 gm lamb curry cut
- 200 gm coconut milk powder
- 2 packet maggi bhuna masala
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Few dry red chillies
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 Tbsp curry leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp star anise
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 fresh coconut, grated
- 1 Tbsp tamarind paste (or tamarind soaked in water)
- 1 tsp jaggery (gud)
- Few sprigs fresh coriander
How to Make Aatukkari Kuzhambu with Steamed Rice
- Clean lamb. Keep it dry.
- Place lamb in pressure cooker along with coconut milk, one packet bhuna masala and cook till lamb is tender. Keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Add black mustard seed, red chilli, ural dal and curry leaf.
- Also add garam masala powder, black pepper powder, salt and whole spices like star anise and cinnamon, and sauté.
- Add grated coconut, sauté well.
- Add bhuna masala. Sauté well till it leaves the side of the pan.
- Add tamarind paste and jaggery. Mix well.
- Add coconut milk and simmer till it blends. Do not over boil.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Now add cooked lamb in the coconut curry and simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve hot. Garnish with fried coconut chips, dry red chilli and coriander sprigs.
Key Ingredients: Coconut milk
, coconut oil
, lamb meat
, red chilli
, black gram
, black pepper
, coriander leaves
, mustard seeds
, red chillies, curry leaves
, black pepper powder, garam masala
, star anise
, coriander, jaggery