How to make Lamb Rogan Josh
About Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe: A hearty Lamb Rogan Josh straight from the culinary wizards of Kashmir. Kashmiri cuisine has one of the most sought after and delicious non vegetarian recipes that you just cannot resist your taste buds. Rogan Josh is a signature dish of the cuisine, originally bought by the Mughals. Over the years, there have been different variations of the dosh with different regions adding or substituting many ingredients according to their own palate, however, we have this simple Rogan Josh recipe that you can cook at home and savour the Kashmiri palate right in your kitchen. Serve it at dinner parties along with naan and rice or cook during festive occasions like Eid and Diwali.Ingredients in Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe
: This dish is robust with flavors of varied spices. Lamb cooked with the aroma of cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, turmeric, coriander and garam masala. A sumptuous whole meal that can make any dinner party an extravagant treat!
Ingredients of Lamb Rogan Josh
- 250 Gram Lamb chops or stewing lamb
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Pieces Cassia bark or cinnamon stick
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- A pinch of Garam masala
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
How to Make Lamb Rogan Josh
- 1.Heat the oil in a heavy based pan.
- 2.Tip in the cassia bark, bay leaves and cardamoms. When they sizzle (make sure they don't burn, if they do, discard whole spices and repeat the process) add the garlic and the onions followed by the butter and fry till the onions are nicely caramelized.
- 3.This will take about 10 minutes. It may be longer if you're frying more onions.
- 4.Add the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin and coriander and mix for about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato puree and mix.
- 5.Add the lamb and fry for 5 to 7 minutes till it changes colour or turns opaque.
- 6.Pour 400ml of just boiled water, cover and simmer for 40 minutes till the meat is tender.
- 7.Remove the lid and add the salt and sprinkle the garam masala. Stir in the lemon juice.
- 8.Just before serving you could garnish with washed and chopped coriander leaves (if you're freezing or serving the next day, don't add the leaves).
- 9.If you want to make the sauce thicker, cook the curry further.
- 10.If you want more sauce, add an extra 200 ml of water.
- 11.The oil should rise to the top of the saucepan, which means the curry is ready.
- 12.Serve hot.
Lamb chops or stewing lamb, Vegetable oil, Cassia bark or cinnamon stick, Bay leaves, Green cardamoms, Onions, Garlic cloves, Butter
, Chilli powder, Ground cumin, Ground coriander, Tomato puree, Salt
, Garam masala, Lemon juice