Achaar Ke Aloo
Recipe Servings: 4
Tasty and tangy. Achaar ke aloo are absolutely lip smacking. Potatoes fried and mixed in a masala full of chillies, mustard seeds, vinegar and sugar.
- 750 gm potatoes - boiled and skinned
- Oil for frying
- 4 Tbsp onion paste
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic paste salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 100 ml water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp vinegar
- 8 dry whole red chillies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (kalongi/onion seeds)
- Fry the potatoes in hot oil until golden. Set aside.
- Leave 4 tbsp oil in the pan. Fry onions until golden.
- Add ginger and garlic, followed by turmeric and chilli powder.
- Return the potatoes to the pan and pour in water.
- Cook for 5 minutes over a gentle flame. Sprinkle in sugar and pour on vinegar.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a separate pan. Add red chillies, mustard, cumin and nigella seeds (kaloongi / onion seeds).
- Stir and fry for 20 seconds. Pour over cooked potatoes before serving.
Key Ingredients: potatoes
, vegetable oil
, red chilli
, mustard seeds
, cumin seeds
, onion seeds