Recipe Servings: 3
Marut Sikka cooks some fabulously tangy and spicy achaari baingan. Baby eggplants slit, deep fried, stuffed with a tangy masala and tossed.
- 8 baby aubergines (small sized baingan, slit), lightly dabbed on the inside with some salt and turmeric powder
- Oil to deep fry
For the masala:
- 2 Tbsp coriander seeds, dry roasted
- 1 Tbsp saunf (fennel seeds), dry roasted
- 1 tsp zeera (cumin) seeds, dry roasted
- 1 1/2 tsp methi daana (fenugreek seeds)
- 2 tsp white mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp black onion seeds
- 1/2 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- 4 tsp amchoor (mango powder)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Red chilli powder, to taste
To toss the aubegines:
- 5 Tbsp mustard oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 pinches heeng dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- Salt, to taste
- Slice the aubergines into four leaving them attached only at the stem. Lightly dab the brinjal on the inside with some salt and turmeric powder. Deep fry.
- In a pan dry roast coriander seeds, saunf and zeera. Grind these with all the other masalas on the ingredient list.
- Stuff the deep fried aubergines with this masala. Keep aside.
- In a kadhai / wok, take mustard oil, add bay leaves, cloves and heeng water.
- Add the stuffed aubergines. Toss.
- Sprinkle some salt according to taste. Toss. Serve.
Key Ingredients: eggplant
, vegetable oil
, coriander seeds
, cumin seeds
, fenugreek seeds
, red chilli
, mustard seeds
, onion seeds
, carom seeds
, raw mango powder
, Red chill, mustard oil
, bay leaf