Story ProgressBack to home
Bagara Baingan Recipe
How to make Bagara Baingan
Bagara Baingan is a popular Hyderabadi dish. Fried eggplants in a masala curry with coconut, sesame seeds and tamarind.
- Total Cook Time 55 mins
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time 40 mins
- Recipe Servings2
Ingredients of Bagara Baingan
- 6-8 baingans of the small variety
- oil for deep frying
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp each garlic paste and ginger paste
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds-roasted light brown
- 2 tsp each, cumin, sesame seeds-roasted separately light brown
- 2 tsp tamarind paste or to taste
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp powdered red pepper
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp coriander for garnish
How to Make Bagara BainganHideShow Media
Slit the baingans and deep fry over high heat, till glossy and a little tender.
Remove from oil and keep aside. Grind the coconut and the roasted coriander, cumin and sesame seeds together, using a little water if need be.
Heat the 1/4 cup oil saute the onions, ginger and garlic till onions are soft and a little transparent.
Add curry leaves and turn around, then the ground mixture and sauté till the fat separates. Add the tamarind paste, salt, turmeric, red pepper and mix well, and then add the baingans.
Turn around a few times. Add about a quarter cup water, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes.
Serve hot garnished with the coriander.