Alleppey Chemeen Curry Recipe
Recipe Servings: 4
Grilled prawns and shrimp simmered in coconut gravy, served with red rice and cherry tomatoes.
Ingredients of Alleppey Chemeen Curry
- 400 g prawns (30-40 pcs)
- 100 g shrimp
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 Tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 200 g Kerala red rice
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp curry leaves
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, julienne
- 1 Tbsp green chilli, julienne
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp degi mirch powder
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup tamarind pulp
- 2 tomatoes, quarters
- 10 satay sticks
- 10 cherry tomatoes (for garnish)
- 2 banana leaves (for presentation)
How to Make Alleppey Chemeen Curry
- In a bowl, clean the prawn and shrimp in running water and keep aside.
- Marinate the prawn with salt, lemon juice and ginger-garlic paste. Squeeze it after 10 minutes and marinate with the coconut gravy, once it's ready.
- Wash and soak the red rice. Boil it once the gravy is ready and serve hot.
- In a pan, heat some coconut oil on a medium heat. Add curry leaves, onion, ginger, green chilli and saute.
- Saute for five minutes. Add turmeric, coriander powder and both the chilly powders. Cook it for some time and then add the coconut milk.
- Cook the gravy for some time and then add the shrimps.
- Cook it for some more time and finish it with tamarind pulp and tomatoes.
- Skewer the marinated prawn onto the satay stick. Sear the prawn on the grill and cook in the gravy.
- Serve with hot boiled red rice, with a garnish of cherry tomatoes.