Charred Eggplant Soup
Recipe Servings: 3
A wintery delight. Eggplant seasoned and char grilled, combined with tomato water and other seasonings to give you a tasty soup. Topped with a blob of whipped hung curd.
- 1 medium-sized eggplant (approx. 500 gm)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 200 ml tomato water
- 1 Tbsp green coriander stems, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh green coriander, finely chopped
- A pinch of green cardamom powder
- 1 tsp whipped hung curd
- Season with salt and pepper
- Season the eggplant with sea salt, pepper and olive oil and grill it till the skin has charred and soft.
- Then cover and allow it to cool so the skin is easy to peel off and discard the charred skin.
- Coarsely mash the eggplant and keep aside.
- Now heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the onions and saute on medium heat till soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic, green chillies and the ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Mix in the coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and garam masala.
- Add the tomato water (To get tomato water blend 2 large tomatoes in 500 ml of water and strain.)
- Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes or till it reduces a little, stirring often to prevent the spice mix from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mashed eggplant into the pan and mix well.
- Season with salt and cracked back pepper.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander stems and stir.
- Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients in to a nice thick soup.
- Garnish with a blob of whipped hung curd, cardamom powder, coriander leaves and olive oil.
Serve hot or cold.
Key Ingredients: eggplant
, olive oil
, cumin powder, cumin seeds
, red chilli
, green chillies
, coriander powder
, garam masala
, tomato puree
, green cardamom
, hung curd
, black pepper