Couscous with California Prune & Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Recipe Servings: 6
An exotic Moroccan centerpiece with the goodness of prunes, vegetables, pears and saffron. A hint of lemon and ginger powder can be tasted. Sprinkled with toasted almonds or pistachios before serving.
Ingredients of Couscous with California Prune & Vegetable Tagine
- 1/4 cup California pitted prunes
- 1/2 preserved lemon
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1" stick cinnamon
- 1 1/2 kgs vegetables (carrots, aubergine, sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, zucchini) cut into 2" chunks
- 500 g tomatoes blanched, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup fresh pears cubed
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of saffron strands soaked in a little water
- 300 g couscous
- 1/3 cup flaked or slivered pistachios or almonds, toasted
How to Make Couscous with California Prune & Vegetable Tagine
- Remove the flesh from the preserved lemon and thinly slice the lemon rind.
- Use flesh for another purpose.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large pan or tagine on medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger, chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon and saute for 2 minutes. Add all the vegetables, except zucchini and tomato, and stir until they are well coated and start to soften.
- Mix in preserved lemon rind, tomatoes, stock, pears and prunes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook uncovered for a further 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, and stir in parsley and saffron flavored water.
- Put couscous into another pan with 2 tbsp oil and 2 cups boiling water and let it stand until all the water is absorbed.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and serve around the outside of the tagine or on a platter, with the vegetables in the center.
- Sprinkle with toasted pistachios or almonds.