Gurda Kaleji keema
A nice and spicy curry made with lamb kidneys, liver and mince. Spiced with a freshly roasted garam masala and a tomato rich gravy.
- 6 - 7 pieces lamb kidneys, cut into small pieces and washed thoroughly
- 6 - 7 pieces of lamb livers
- 200 gm lamb mince
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 4- 5 tomatoes, chopped fine
- 5 - 6 green chillies, chopped
- 2 Tbsp desi ghee
- 8-10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Half inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp dhania powder
For the Garam Masala:
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 dried red chillies
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- A small piece of mace
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3-4 green and black cardamoms
- For the Garam Masala:
- Add all the spices in a pan and dry roast. Then powder this mixture in a blender.
For the Curry:
- Add a nice dollop of desi ghee in a pan. Once heated add the garlic (half of it) and ginger to it. Let it saute for a minute.
- Once it browns add the onions. Mix it well. Once the onions turn nice golden brown add the tomatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt at this stage.
- Saute this for a couple of minutes. Now add a pinch of red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Mix all well. Once the tomatoes look cooked take the pan off the heat.
- Now in another pan add one Tbsp of ghee and some garlic. Add the onion and tomato mixture and mix well.
- Saute for a couple of minutes till the fat separates.
- Now add a cup of tomato puree.
- Add one tsp of dhania and cumin powder and a pinch of red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Now add the lamb mince. Saute the mince and add the chopped green chillies.
- Add the liver and kidneys and mix well.
- Add some salt and toss well.
- Add a little bit of water (a small cup) and cover it to cook for a little while.
- Once it looks cooked add two tea spoons of the garam masala made earlier.
- Add a few ginger julienne (slices) and coriander leaves.
- Mix well.
- Pour out into a bowl, garnish with coriander and serve hot!
Key Ingredients: Lamb meat
, clarified butter
, green chillies
, red chilli powder, cumin seeds
, coriander seeds
, red chilli
, cumin, cinnamon
, green cardamom
, cinnamon stick, black pepper
, Coriander Powder