Recipe of Kathal ki Sabzi
Recipe Servings: 4
Jackfruit may look intimidating, but tastes delicious and is rather simple to make. Jackfruit cooked with a variety of masalas. Simple flavors, great taste!
- 500 gm jackfruit
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup grated onions
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup grated tomatoes
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 green chillies-slit
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
How to Make Kathal ki Sabzi
- Oil your hands well. Keep some oil handy while cutting the jackfruit, as you will need to smear your palms with oil from time to time.
- Oil prevents hands from getting sticky and itchy.
- Peel the jackfruit and slice into rounds of desired thickness.
- Slice rounds into halves, and remove any thick stem in the centre, before cutting slices into smaller pieces. Do not wash. Scrape any dirt off.
- Heat the oil and fry the pieces over high heat, till light brown. Drain and set aside.
- Add cumin seeds to the same oil.
- When the seeds begin to splutter, add the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Stir-fry till brown, add the tomatoes, and fry till fat separates.
- Add coriander powder, salt, chilli powder, turmeric, and the garam masala. Stir to mix well.
- Add the green chillies and jackfruit, stir a few times before adding about 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer till the vegetable is cooked through.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: jackfruit
, vegetable oil
, cumin seeds
, coriander powder
, red chilli
, garam masala
, green chillies
, coriander leaves