Recipe of Matar ki Chaat
Recipe Servings: 2
Pea cutlets fried, doled out with a range of chutneys and yogurt.
- 2 cups peas-soaked in 3/4 tsp baking soda for 4 hrs
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp finely shredded ginger
- Ghee to fry the peas
- 1/2 cup ginger powder chutney
- 1/4 cup coriander chutney
- 1 cup yoghurt - beaten smooth
- Chaat masala
- Chilli powder
- Chopped coriander
How to Make Matar ki Chaat
- Discard the water in which the peas have been soaked.
- Cook in fresh water with salt and ginger, till tender. Takes about 15 minutes if done in a pressure cooker.
- Cook at a low heat till peas look quite mashed. If they are not soft enough, add some more water and cook, but only enough so it is absorbed.
- Once cooked, there should be no water left. The peas should take on a thick paste-like consistency, which, when cool, looks like soft dough.
- When the mixture is cold, form into flat round cutlets.
- Heat some ghee in a frying pan. Fry at medium heat till brown and crisp, first on one side and then the other. Fry all the pieces.
- Place the crisp, hot cutlets in the frying pan over high heat, and break up each into a few pieces with a spoon.
- Place them in a serving dish, pour some ginger powder chutney over them, followed by the green chutney and then the yoghurt.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala and chilli powder over the yoghurt, according to taste, and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.