Sharife ki Kheer
Recipe Servings: 4
Aditya Bal cooks a thick creamy kheer made with rice, custard apple and loads of nuts in Maheshwar.
- 2 liters full-cream milk
- 3/4 th cup basmati rice, washed and soaked
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large custard apples (sharifa), deseeded
- A handful of raisins
- A handful of cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- A handful of almonds, roughly chopped
- 2-3 green cardamoms, ground to a powder
- Bring the milk to a boil in a thick bottomed pan, by covering and cooking it on a high flame for about 10-15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and reduce the milk by 10 to 15 percent by letting it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the washed and soaked basmati rice. Cover the pan and let the milk come up to a boil.
- Let the rice cook for 20 minutes on simmer, till it thickens.
- Stir in the sugar and let the kheer cook on a gentle heat until the sugar dissolves, for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the raisins, cashew nuts, almonds, and powdered cardamom. Mix well.
- Add in the deseeded sharifa, stir and take off the flame after 30 seconds.
- Serve hot or cold!