Soft Shell Crab, Flame Roast Coconut Chips, Crispy Curry Leaves Recipe
Marinated with flavours, crabs are dipped in batter, fried an tossed in freshly made coconut masala.
Ingredients of Soft Shell Crab, Flame Roast Coconut Chips, Crispy Curry Leaves
- 4 soft shell crabs
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 pinch red chilli powder
- 2 tsp chicken broth powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 fresh coconuts
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp urad dal, washed
- 1 Tbsp curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp black peppercorn powder
- 3 Tbsp tempura batter mix
- 2 cups cornflour
- 3 Tbsp coarse rice powder
- Refined oil, for frying
- 3 Tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 banana leaf (for presentation)
How to Make Soft Shell Crab, Flame Roast Coconut Chips, Crispy Curry Leaves
- Wash, clean and pat dry soft shell crabs carefully.
- Marinate crabs in ginger and garlic paste, red chilli powder, chicken broth powder and half lemon juice. Keep aside.
- Slice fresh coconut finely and dry it in a salamander heater.
- Heat little oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves to prepare south Indian tempering (tadka)
- Toss dried coconut chips in a bowl with chaat masala, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, crushed black pepper and south Indian tempering and keep aside.
- Dip marinated crabs in a thick tempura batter, dust with cornflour and rice powder thoroughly and deep fry in hot oil till golden and crisp.
- Toss crabs in coconut masala. Mix along with fresh chopped coriander and remaining lime juice.
- Serve on banana leaf.
Key Ingredients: Crab
, Chicken Broth, vegetable oil
, lemon juice
, curry leaves
, garam masala
, black pepper
, Red Chilli
, Mustard Seeds
, Coriander leaves