Blackheads and whiteheads are part of the same problem and form in the same way that acne do. The only difference is that in a blackhead, the pore is a bit bigger and dead keratinocytes that are exposed to air turn black. Whiteheads are covered by the epidermis and in smaller pores which makes them appear like the colour of your skin. If a whitehead is left in for too long, it can result in acne. Here's how - since the pore is completely blocked, the oil gland can get infected resulting in a pimple.
Here Are 6 Home-Remedies For Whiteheads You May Not Have Known About
Causes of Whiteheads
Whiteheads are often accompanied by acne on other parts of the skin which makes them important, if not urgent, to treat. But before we get to remedies, let's understand what triggers whiteheads:
1. Oily Hair - So make sure you wash your hair every two to three days, or more often if you've got exceptionally oily hair. But washing it far too often than required can also backfire, causing your skin to make up for lost oil.
2. Oily Cosmetics - From your sunscreen to your make-up, make sure everything you use on your face is oil-free or has the words 'noncomedogenic' on it.
Home Remedies for Whiteheads
If you're struggling with whiteheads, blackheads and acne on a regular basis and at the same time, then it is recommended that you visit your dermatologist. There could be a deeper cause, especially in the case of women. It could be hormones, genetics, stress, the kind of soap or shampoo you're using or maybe just heat and humidity.
There are dermatologist recommended creams that help increase the skin cell turnover, which in turn helps clear the dead skin/cell debris.
Before we move on to the remedies, here are a few skin-care tips that might not treat but definitely help prevent whiteheads:1. Wash your face 2 to 3 times a day to keep oil away.2. Remember, aloe vera and tea tree are your closest friends.
Home remedies for white heads: aloe vera is effective in treating white heads
4. Keep rose water handy. If rose water irritates your skin, try cucumber.
3. In the evening, wipe your face using some cotton and toner. Try to use an alcohol-free one.
Home remedies for white heads: Keep rose water handy. If rose water irritates your skin, try cucumber
5. Don't skip the moisturizer and sunscreen because you're afraid that greasy skin is what's causing the whiteheads.6. Look for products labeled 'non comodogenic' and also try to find a water-based moisturizer.
7. Avoid junk food, basically food that's deep-fried because it translates to oilier skin.8. Drink plenty of water, eat fresh fruits and veggies. Eat clean and include healthy fats - clove oil, avocados, fatty fish like tuna and salmon, nuts and seeds.
Home remedies for whiteheads: Drink plenty of water, eat fresh fruits and veggies
9. Exfoliate - Use a gentle exfoliator and with light hands, scrub your skin at least once a week. This will help remove the dead skin and also prevent it from coming back.
10. Clean, clean, clean - Once you get back home, make sure you remove your make up, sunscreen or whatever cosmetics you apply, with a make up remover. The idea is to not to expose your skin to something for too long. Also, good makeup removers are enriched with the good kind of oil, so your skin won't be completely devoid of it.
11. Every morning, apply lemon on your face and leave it there for a few minutes. Over time you'll find that the Vitamin C from the lemon is working on not just the whitheads but also blackheads.
12. Don't pop them - Don't try and pop and prod whiteheads out of your skin because it leads to further infections. Let your dermatologist or skin-care expert do this for you.
Moving on to the real stuff - home remedies that can help reduce whiteheads:
1. Scrub, Scrub, Scrub
Scrub your face because this tends to open up those closed pores. Grab these ingredients from your pantry: 2 spoons oatmeal, 1 spoon granulated sugar (brown or white), 1/2 spoon honey and lemon. Mix these ingredients and scrub your face for 5-7 minutes. Leave it for a few minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.(Also Read: How to Remove Blackheads from Nose: 5 Natural Masks and Scrubs)
2. Something Acidic
Mix baking soda with water and apply on the whiteheads. You can also use apple cider vinegar and water as well. Leave it for a few minutes and wash gently with warm water. This is one of the most effective ways to get rid of whiteheads. (Also Read: 7 Natural Face Packs Our Grandmothers Used for Beautiful Skin)
Home remedies for whiteheads: Mix baking soda with water and apply on the whiteheads.
3. From the Garden
Look no further, for your garden may have all that you require to get rid of the whiteheads. Make a paste of neem leaves and fresh turmeric, apply for 15-20 minutes and wash off. Do this every day for a few days and you'll see some improvement.
(Also Read: 10 Wonderful Benefits and Uses of Neem: A Herb That Heals)
Home remedies for whiteheads: Make a paste of neem leaves and fresh turmeric
4. Granny's Go-to Remedy
Take 3 spoons of besan, mix some ground green chilka dal, raw milk and a few drops of lemons. Rub this on your face for 6-7 minutes, leave it on for a while and then wash off. Do this every morning for a few weeks to see results.(Also Read: Besan for Skin: 10 Best Natural Packs for All Skin Types)
5. Time for Tea
Turns out that your love for chai is not useless after all. Tea could prove to be one of your best skin companions too. Use wet tea bags and leave them on your areas infected with whiteheads for a while. Do this as often as possible and you'll start to see that the skin also gets smooth over time.
(Also Read:5 Foods That Help Get Rid Of Dark Circles)
6. Egg Whites
Egg whites have created quite a stir in the health and nutrition circuit and guess what! it has all it takes to take the beauty circuit by storm too. Take an egg and separate the yolk from the white. Now, whisk the white till it's nice and frothy. Apply on your face and let it be for about 20 minutes or till it's absolutely dry. Wash off.
Now that you know all the natural kitchen ingredients that could help reduce your whiteheads. Get started already!