Besan ubtan is just another desi nuska our mothers and grandmothers have up their sleeves, something that's been passed down from generation to generation. And we assure you, it's no hoax. Besan (gram flour) has antimicrobial properties and is known to remove dirt and toxins from deep within. That's perhaps why it is used on every soon-to-be Indian bride, to give her a beauty boost and make her skin glow (and how!) on her big fat wedding day. The best part about besan (gram flour) is that it works for all skin types, and that's what makes it the ideal cleanser. Whether it is used on its own or paired with a combination of other ingredients, it's the perfect beauty formula for your skin.
Tip: “If you are applying it on dry skin, mix with milk. If you are applying it on oily skin, mix it with curd,” advises Dr. Reema Arora, Medical Facial Head, Cocoona Centre of Aesthetic Transformation, New Delhi.If you want instant shine, “scrub your body not with soap, but with a mix of besan, multani mitti, almond powder, sandalwood powder and oatmeal,” suggests Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj, Founder of Skin and Hair Clinics.Here are 10 beauty packs you can make at home using besan and other everyday ingredients-
1. For Oily SkinDr. Indu Ballani, Dermatologist says, “Besan is a great cleanser for oily skin.” It helps to absorb the excess oil from the skin and remove impurities, and yet it doesn't dry out the skin. It keeps the skin supple by regulating moisture. You can use a combination of rosewater and besan to nourish your skin and restore its balance.Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of besan (gram flour)
4 tablespoons of rosewaterMethod:
1. Mix besan and rosewater until you obtain a smooth paste.
2. Apply it on your face and neck, and leave it on for 15-20 minutes till it dries.
3. Wash with cool water in circular motions, and pat your skin dry.
2. To Lighten SkinYou can use besan along with lemon and tomato to lighten skin tone, as they have bleaching properties.Ingredients:
1 tomato (ripe)
1 tablespoon besan
1 tablespoon lemon juiceMethod:
Take the pulp out of the tomato and mix with besan and lemon juice. Apply it on your face and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes (till it dries). Rinse off with cold water.
3. To Reduce Acne“Want to get rid of acne? Besan works wonder,” adds Dr. Indu Ballani. Team it with turmeric, a natural healer that contains antibacterial properties, and sandalwood which is known to dry out pimples and promote flawless skin.Ingredients:
2 teaspoons of gram flour
2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder
1 teaspoon of milk
a pinch of turmeric powderMethod:
1. Mix all the ingredients and create a smooth paste.
2. Apply evenly all over the face, and wash off with lukewarm water after it dries. Pat your skin dry.
4. For Dry, Flaky SkinThought besan only worked for oily skin? Think again. “Besan is an extremely neutral ingredient that is great for cleansing skin,” says Dr. Indu Ballani, Delhi-based Dermatologist. For dry, flaky skin, you can mix it with malai (fresh cream), milk, honey and turmeric to moisturise and nourish your skin.Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of besan
1 tablespoon of malai (fresh cream)
1 teaspoon of milk
1 teaspoon of honey
A pinch of turmericMethod:
1. Mix all the ingredients until you get a smooth paste.
2. Apply evenly all over the face by gently massaging it into your skin.
3. Leave it on for about 5 minutes, and then wash it off with cool water.
4. Pat your skin dry. For best results, repeat this cleansing regime once a week.
Dr. Indu Ballani, Dermatologist, New Delhi, “To detan, you can mix besan with lemon and curd and apply on your skin for 15 minutes.” Wash it off with cool water after it dries.Ingredients:
2 teaspoons of besan
1 slice of cucumber
2 slices of tomato
A pinch of turmeric
½ teaspoon malai/curd (curd if your skin is oily and milk cream if you have dry skin)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honeyMethod:
1. Grate cucumber and tomato, or use a grinder to make a paste.
2. Then add some malai or curd, depending on your skin type.
3. Add turmeric, lemon juice, honey, besan and mix well.
4. Apply this pack on your face and neck and leave it on till it dries. Rinse off with cold water.
6. To Remove Accumulation of Dead Skin According to Suparna Trikha, “This five-minute recipe will heal your skin and give you that glow you've always wanted”.Ingredients:
3 Tbsp gram flour
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp lemon peel powder
The juice of half a lemon
Milk to make a smooth pasteMethod:
Mix all the ingredients together and apply on the skin. Leave it on till it dries and then wash off with tepid water.7. For Anti-AgeingAccording to Suparna Trikha, India's leading beauty expert, “If you feel that your skin is beginning to wrinkle, and you can see those fine lines around your lips and eyes, stop them right away with this super stabilising natural pack that you can put together in minutes. This recipe is ideal for people who have extremely sensitive skin (and want to get rid of premature wrinkles)”.Ingredients:
2 Tbsp gram flour
1 tsp fresh cream
2 tsp water
A pinch of saltMethod:
Mix all the ingredients well together and apply on the skin for 10 minutes and wash off with tepid water.
8. As a Body ScrubDr. Reema Arora, Medical Facial Head, Cocoona Centre of Aesthetic Transformation, New Delhi says, “Besan is excellent for exfoliating”. Indulge in a home-made body scrub that is sans all the harmful chemicals, using besan, oats and milk to remove dead cells and dirt effectively. (After all, natural is the new beautiful).Ingredients:
1 teaspoon of oats (grounded)
2 teaspoons of corn flour
1 teaspoon of milkMethod:
Apply the mixture on your body and gently scrub. Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
9. For Blemish-Free, Flawless SkinIngredients:
50 gm chana dal
10 gm fenugreek seeds
2-3 pieces of turmericMethod:
Grind all the ingredients into a powder and store it in a container. Use this powder in a little quantity with some milk cream and wash the face regularly with it instead of soap.
10. To Reduce Unwanted Facial HairIt doesn't get easier than this! As you exfoliate your skin with this paste, it cleanses your skin and lightens your complexion while gently pulling out your fine facial hair.Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of gram flour
1 tablespoon of turmeric
2-3 tablespoons of waterMethod:
1. Mix the besan, turmeric and water to form a thick paste.
2. Smear your face with this paste, and rub gently in circular motions for about 10 minutes.
3. You could keep wetting the mix, if it gets too dry as you rub.
4. Wash off with cool water, and pat your skin dry.