Our pantry is a storehouse of wonderful ingredients. Not only can we use them to cook various dishes but also to work wonders for our skin, hair and overall beauty. If you need an effective and economical option to get rid of your everyday beauty troubles then you must consider looking inside your house - simply take a tour of your kitchen, look deep inside your refrigerator or probably your little herb garden. India has always revered Ayurveda and the tradition of following ancient home remedies handed down over generations. While besan and multani mitti have always been touted as the quintessential ingredients suitable for skin maintenance, there are many others that are equally effective but are not celebrated enough.
Masoor dal tastes great and is excellent for your regular skin care regime as well. It comes enriched with the goodness of essential minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and is absolutely safe to try. Masoor dal has almost magical effects on the skin. The powdered dal can be stored and mixed with a range of ingredients - depending on your skin type - to arrive at interesting face masks, scrubs and packs.
Also Read: 6 Natural Face Packs From Your Kitchen Shelf For A Natural Glow
"Masoor dal works as a bleaching agent. Once you add it to you regular skin care ritual, you will see a noticeable clarity, smoothness and radiance in your skin. It works as an exfoliator and helps lighten scars, spots and pigmentation," noted Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj, a leading Delhi-based Dermatologist.
"It is a great agent to exfoliate, clarify and cleanse the skin. The water used to soak the dal can be used in face packs and masks as it retains essential minerals for the skin," shared Suparna Trikha, a Delhi-based Beauty Expert.
Ways to Use it
Adding masoor dal to your skin care routine is simple, inexpensive and similar to other ingredients like besan or multani mitti. You can make a range of combinations with it in order to suit your skin type.
1. Mix masoor dal powder with milk and egg white to make a paste. Apply it on face, let it dry. "This becomes a powerful tightening mask that rejuvenates and tightens the skin," shared Suparna Trikha. Wash off and moisturise well.
2. Masoor dal can be used to make an anti-ageing pack wherein the powder can be mixed with powdered dry fruits, for example walnut powder or besan. It works perfectly as a tan removing agent as well.
3. Masoor dal powder can be worked into a paste by mixing it with milk. Gently scrub on face and let it dry. Wash off and moisturise well. This will help remove dead skin, pollution, excess oil from the skin. Milk gives the pack moisturising properties. Use it once a week to get rid of blemishes and uneven skin tone.
4. People with dry skin should mix it with honey and rub it on the skin. Leave for some time and wash off. "Oily skin can benefit a great deal by mixing powdered dal with a few drops of white vinegar and water and applying on the face. Normal skin type can make a paste with curd and white vinegar, rub on skin, let it dry and wash off. White vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice," shared Dr. Bhardwaj.
5. Masoor dal powder when mixed with soaked urad dal, almond oil, glycerine and rose water works great as an anti-acne face pack.
Also Read: Tried Everything To Get Rid Of Acne? Eat These Foods To Finally Beat It
Things to keep in mind
- Masoor dal powder can be used on nose to remove blackhead and white heads, however, using it more than once a week can strip off essential oils from the skin.
- Masoor dal tends to tighten the skin and has a drying effect, therefore moisturising becomes extremely important after its application.
- People with sensitive or extremely dry skin should avoid its application
- Avoid applying it if your skin has acne, pimple, rashes or allergies.
- Get in touch with your skin expert or dermatologist before giving it a try or to get the best combinations for your skin condition.